Friday, October 20, 2017

Flash Fiction Friday: The Sliced Bagel

I stayed within the thresholds of flash fiction this week with 460 words. This week's format is a little different, however. My story is made up entirely of dialogue. I set the scene, conveyed tone, and established conflict without narrative description. In fact, you will notice there aren't even any attributes (he said, Jane asked, etc.). Happy reading.

Photo by Jennifer E. Miller

The Sliced Bagel
By,
Jennifer E. Miller

“Ugh!”
“What is it, Katherine?”
“I’m putting the groceries away, and realized I purchased unsliced bagels.”
“What’s wrong with that?”
“It’s one of life’s great mysteries, I tell you.”
“Why? Is the hole in the bagel a portal to another dimension?”
“No, Richard. It’s a mystery to sell bagels without slicing them first. It’s silly. Who eats them that way?”
“Well, I don’t know, somebody must.”
“I don’t believe so.”
“How are you so sure, Katherine? Maybe they dip the whole thing into their coffee.”
“You’re confusing bagels with doughnuts.”
“Toast it with jam on the top, perhaps?”
“It needs to be sliced to fit in the toaster slot.”
“A toaster oven, then.”
“Really, Richard. No one uses those anymore.”
“I beg to differ; my mother still has one.”
“She doesn’t use it.”
“Fine. But I do say you are making too much fuss over this issue. And please stop slamming the refrigerator door when you put the groceries away.”
“Well, I expect the bagels I purchased to be sliced.”
“Katherine, how much time could it take to slice them yourself?”
“Too long.”
“You’re being a grouch. A few minutes is all it takes.”
“Would you care to do it, then?”
“Come now, that’s not necessary. You are capable of the task.”
“You just don't want to! You want your bagels sliced, just like I do. See? Selling unsliced bagels makes no sense. They must be sliced for practical convenience.”
“Perhaps the bakery didn’t have time.”
“They have machines to do it, Richard.”
“Missed a few?”
“I suppose that’s possible.”
“Ah, see! It’s just a mistake.”
“Then, you just proved my theory. A mistake indicates that the bagels were intended to be sold sliced. If they were, in fact, intentionally sold unsliced, it brings us back to my original thought: selling unsliced bagels are a mystery.”
“Alright, well, I guess the solution to your problem is to take the bagels back to the bakery and to have them sliced.”
“No, I won’t do that. It’s not worth my time.”
“But you’ve spent the last five minutes irritated, and convincing me that bagels should be sold sliced. How is this whole subject suddenly not worth your time?”
“I’ve vented my frustrations and now it’s over and done. I can move on to other things.”
“That’s reassuring. Shall we move on to lunch, then?”
“That sounds fine. What should we have?”
“Sandwiches sound dandy. I’ll gather and prepare everything since you just sat down.”
“Thank you.”
“Fantastic. Say, Katherine, I’ve got things lined up here on the counter, but it seems you forgot bread at the store.”
“Did I? Oh. Well, use the bagels instead.”
“There is a problem, though.”
“What’s that?”
“I need them sliced.”

Copyright 2017 Jennifer E. Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment