Friday, November 17, 2017

Flash Fiction Friday: Passport Veterans

Photo by Jennifer E. Miller 2015

Good afternoon, readers. This isn't a fiction piece, but it is under a thousand words. Events last week inspired me to put this together. Happy Belated Veteran's Day. A big thanks to those who serve(d). 

Passport Veterans

By,
Jennifer E. Miller
Last week, I applied for my passport at the post office. I had an appointment, but they request early arrival of ten minutes. I got there twenty minutes early. There was a gentleman being waited on in front of me. Another man got in line behind me and asked if this was the passport line. I told him it was.
“Oh, good,” he said. “I have a question.”
“Well, my appointment isn’t until 11:45. It looks as though the gentleman in front of me is almost done. You go on ahead, if all you need is a question answered.”
“Are you sure? You have an appointment. I need to know if I can renew my recently expired passport. I got the date mixed up and thought I had more time.”
Since I already did all the research on whether or not I could renew my own passport, I informed the stranger that renewal is permitted if your expired passport if it’s within five years.
“Is that so?”
“Yes. I missed it by a year, so I have to start all over.”
I pointed to the applications on the wall and helped him select the correct form. He was thankful I had done all this research and could help him out. I stated I wished I’d done my research sooner or I could’ve avoided starting the application process all over again.
The stranger seemed eager to have someone to talk to, and since I didn’t have anything better to do while waiting, we chit chatted. He needed a passport to get to Canada.
“Flying or driving?” I asked.
“Drive. I don’t fly.”
“An enhanced driver’s license works for that, too,” I explained.
“Oh yeah? I heard of it, but I get confused what it is and why I need it over a regular driver’s license.”
I explained that EDL holds proof of citizenship, like a passport. He wasn’t aware our standard licenses had devalued and was annoyed. I don’t blame him. US Citizens shouldn’t have to pay more for a compliant government identification.
The stranger mentioned he felt the same way. He fought for the country and felt it was a disservice to himself and other veterans. I agreed. Then, I thanked him. Almost stunned by my remark he paused.
“You’re welcome,” he responded.
We chatted about the nonsense of politics and such until the man ahead of me finished up with his passport business. He whipped around and mentioned he also served in the armed forces. The two servicemen inquired as to which branch they served, as most typically ask. Then, I thanked the second gentleman for his service, too. He cleared his throat and said, “Don’t thank me, thank my Marines.”
After all three of us talked for a few minutes, the men parted ways. I, of course, had to stay ro finished up my passport application. After handing the employee all the signed forms, and proper identification, the appointment ended with me holding up my right hand and swearing that I provided true and correct information to the best of my knowledge, yackity-yack-yack.
Later that afternoon, I volunteered with the yearbook class at Gia’s school as I typically do on Thursdays. I incorrectly read the school for the day. In lieu of afternoon classes, there was a Veteran’s Day assembly. Well, I already drove to the school. Gia rides home with me on my volunteer days and I wouldn’t be able to tell her to ride the bus, so I figured I’d simply stay.
The assembly began with the principal briefly reminding the students the significance of Veteran’s Day. The middle school kids played the national anthem and other patriotic songs and a few even performed a short skit.
Next up, was a speaker: a veteran. He gave the students a brief history of the birth of the USA, and how many veterans existed. He talked about how the members of the military fight or have other jobs to maintain freedom. Then he explained something. Each enlistee holds up their right hand and solemnly swears before God to protect and serve and preserve the constitution and to defend it against all terrorists, foreign and domestic. He repeated word for word his service pledge while holding up his right hand.
My thoughts brought me back to the post office, where only a couple hours ago I held up my right hand and swore true to my own word. A couple of hours ago I spoke to complete strangers and thanked them for their service. I realized, I wasn’t just getting a passport, I am honoring my privilege that those two strangers, the speaker, and others, secured for me. They helped give me, and millions of citizens, the freedom to be free.

No comments:

Post a Comment