Wednesday, November 4, 2015

So It's Been A Month

I guess it's been over a month since I started my English 101 class at Spokane Community College. It's intense and I am definitely being challenged. Writing generally comes easy to me, but when I have to think of topic sentences, themes, and following a prompt it makes things much more complicated! I also have to put my creative writing edge on the sideline in order to focus on the assignment organization.

The college had a family fun night in honor of Halloween. I took G to this carnival-type event where she collected a bag of candy, got her nails painted, and jumped on a bouncy house. She even got to meet my professor who we happened to run into as well.

Munchkin has been enjoying first grade. She is learning in a way that seems quite foreign to my recollection of grade school. It's definitely harder. The math is different because the simple things are made much more complicated. Adding basic numbers requires number bonds and fact families and not allowing students to use traditional mathematical methods. I understand that each student learns differently, but if they can add numbers the old way then why do they need to know all the other "new" ways? Well, whatever. She seems to be picking up on most of new ways just fine and even explains it to me.

I don't have much time to free-write so I will just keep this short and sweet and hopefully will come up with more involved subject matter next time.




No comments:

Post a Comment