Friday, January 26, 2018

Flash Poetry Friday: The Gull's Perspective

Photo By Jennifer E. Miller 2017

While reminiscing about a trip to the ocean last summer, I started a little story but it morphed into a poem. I generally don't write poetry unless it hits me like it did this morning. Enjoy.


The Gull's Perspective

At the edge,
the tide's ebb and flow
brush against my small, flat feet.
Crustaceans bob with each lap.

Against the horizon
the far-off waves swoosh.
Constant, crashing.
Dive below, and there be silence.

The sun casts long shadows,
kaleidoscope of color across the canvas sky.
Warm hues,
pink, yellow, and orange.

Wind teases the grass
growing on the bank.
Returns to the sky and
stirs the dancing clouds.

People come hand in hand.
Children skip,
dogs bark, run free.
Time to leave.

At the edge,
Outstretched, knees bent, leap.
The air underneath carries me
overhead as I glide home.


Copyright 2018 Jennifer E. Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment