Friday, February 2, 2018

When You’re Too Old for Text Messaging




This story was inspired by actual events. 


When You’re Too Old for Text Messaging
By,
Jennifer E. Miller


Jane: Hello, Cathy, Dina, and Marah. I found these photos of our kids from five years ago. They look so little.

Cathy: (thumbs up emoji) How adorable!

Dina: Love the photos. We should have a bunch reunion.

Jane: A brunch get together would be fun. The kids would love it.

Dina: I typed bunco, but brunch would be fine.

Cathy: Actually, you typed bunch.

Dina: Stupid automobile!

Jane: Oh no! What happened to your car?

Dina: Nothing. I didn’t say anything about my car.

Dina: Grrr. That was supposed to say “stupid autocorrect” for changing bunco to bunch which you read as brunch. Then it changed autocorrect to automobile.

Cathy: Haha!

Jane: Well, a bunch of old bunco queens could get together for brunch.

Cathy: You only sent the last message to me and not the group.

Jane: I did? Hmmm. I hit reply all.

Dina: I got it!

Cathy: Got what?

Dina: Jane’s message.

Cathy: The one she sent to just me by mistake?

Dina: No, the one she sent to everyone about us bunco gals going to brunch.

Cathy: I’m confused.

Jane: I think I hit reply all and you thought I did just a single reply.

Cathy: Wait. Was there an email?

Jane: No ???

Cathy: I don’t have a reply all on my phone.

Jane: Me neither. I didn’t know what it was called to send a reply in a group text versus to a single person.

Cathy: I’m confused.

Dina: Don’t worry. Just pick up the conversation with a bunch of bunco queens reuniting for brunch.

Cathy: (thumbs up emoji)

Marah: Sorry it took so long for me to get back to everyone. I didn’t receive any photos.

Marah: Messages might me out of order.

Jane: (resends photos)

Marah: Cuuuuute!

Marah: So the kids are playing a bunch over lunch and Dina needs a ride because her car broke down?

Jane: No.

Marah: Ahh! Will someone call me?

Jane: Do I have your number?

Dina: You just proved you do!

Jane: Huh?

Cathy: Text messaging uses phone numbers. Same ones as calling.

Jane: When I tap her name it goes straight to text messaging.

Cathy: Well, that’s odd.

Jane: I will mail out letters with a few suggestions for brunch and everyone can mail them back with their selections.

Dina: Good enough for me.

Marah: Yes, that sounds much simpler.

Cathy: (thumbs up emoji)

Jane: Shoot. How will you guys get your updated addresses to me?

Cathy: Why can’t we text them?

Dina: Because automobile might screw up the street names.

Marah: Don’t rely on your GPS.

Dina: What are you talking about?

Dina: Oh! Not again!

Jane: Change of plans, I see. Whose house are we meeting at?

Cathy: No house. We just need to get our addresses to you without our phones automatically changing the spelling of our street names.

Jane: If we met at one our houses, we could play bunch, too.

Jane: *bunco

Dina: Oooo! Jane’s hosting brunch!

Marah: Yes!

Cathy: (thumbs up emoji)

Jane: LOL That works, too. Then I only have to worry about one address.

Marah: Perfect.

Dina: Pick a date and time and send away.

Cathy: (thumbs up emoji)

Jane: Coordinating via text is compounding.

Dina: What?

Marah: Huh?

Cathy: I’m confused.

Jane: Stupid automobile.

Jane: Dammit!



Copyright 2018 Jennifer E. Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment