Saturday, July 21, 2018

Flash Fiction Friday: The Lost Cowboy

Illustration: Pixabay under Creative Commons License


The Lost Cowboy
By,
Jennifer E. Miller

The paved trail by the river is line with pine trees and some sort of wild legume plant that rattles like Mexican jumping beans. Runners such as myself, walkers, strollers, dogs, and bossy geese sporadically populate it. Not a typical spot for a cowboy, but there he was leaning against a tree. 

Unlike those home décor silhouettes, his back and boot sole wasn’t propped against the trunk, but his shoulder  leaned into it, like he was steadying himself. His cream-colored Stetson stood out against the brown bark and he clutched a modern medical-grade cane. He wiped his brow with a handkerchief yanked out from his back pocket. Wearing black denim jeans and a twill shirt, seemed awfully hot on a day like today, in the mid-90s, but maybe cowboys are used to that.

Hearing my footsteps approach, he turned and smiled. Well, more like grimaced. A top row of gold and silver teeth mixed sparkled as his Hispanic wrinkles stretched across his facial contours. Although clearly tired, he held his fingers to his hat rim, tipping it at me. I casually waved and ran on, feeling his watch upon me. 

Did he need help? I now wondered. Stopping, I turned around to check. He was leaned against the tree again, but this time seemed comfortable and relaxed as he panned over the cool river’s current, as though lost in his mind.

I heard the legume plant’s jumping bean noise again, momentarily causing me to turn my head in its direction. When I looked back at the cowboy, he was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment