Monday, July 16, 2018

Flash Fiction Monday: The Unusual Suspect

Photo Jennifer E. Miller 2018

The Unusual Suspect

By,
Jennifer E. Miller


Childhood summer days were spent at Grandma’s house. Her garden bloomed with zucchini, lettuce, peas, green beans, and of course tomatoes. A few plants grew in pots up by the house, which is where I found a tomato hornworm; a large green caterpillar. It was the largest caterpillar I’d ever seen, and it was awesome. It was bright green and when it crawled its sides moving fluidly like an accordion. A spike protruded from its hind end, which didn’t frighten me at all. I plucked the caterpillar from the plant and barreled through the sliding door into the kitchen to show grandma.

“Grandma! Look at this huge caterpillar. It’s part unicorn, too,” I exclaimed, pointing out the spike.

Grandma shrieked. “Where did you find that?!”

“On a tomato plant.”

She allowed me to place it in an old mason jar for observation. I was intrigued when it tried climbing the side, allowing me to see its little feet suctioning on the jar. After about 4.27 minutes, I got bored of watching it and left to go do something else.

Later, when I returned to the jar, the caterpillar was gone.

“Grandma, what happened to my new friend?”

“I don’t know,” she answered, refusing to look at me.

As with most kids, I forgot all about it and continued with my day.

* * *

A few days later, I rubbed my morning eyes as I scuffled into the kitchen.

“Grandma, I’m ready for breakfast,” I said, groggily.

No answer. That’s weird. She was usually waiting for me.

“Grandma?” I called again.

Nothing.

No matter. I prepared myself cereal and juice. While crunching the bran flakes, I heard what sounded like a cheer. I abruptly stopped chewing and listened closer.

“Ohhhhh!” I heard, followed by a cackle.

Setting my cereal spoon down with a clank, I walked to the next room and snuck up next to the window, so not to be spotted. Peering out, I saw Grandma with the neighbor, hunched over at the edge of the garden. Grandma poured something from a container. When the contents reached the ground, she cackled again while the neighbor oohed and aahed and took a step backward, as though getting out of the way of something.

Swiftly, I ran back to my room, threw on some clothes, and returned to the window. By this time, Grandma had retrieved the garden shovel. Curiosity grabbed hold of me and I turned from the window and out the back door.

I approached without a sound, hiding behind shrubs and trees. They hadn’t seen me.

From my James Bond vantage point, I saw something wiggle on the ground, uncomfortably. The container was now in the hands of the neighbor who sprinkled more of its contents, which I could now see was salt. She poured it over a slimy creature that writhed around in the dirt.

“It doesn’t like that, does it,” the neighbor stated.

“Nope,” answered Grandma.

Grandma tapped the shovel over the ground and the metal tinged over a rock. Next, she raised the shovel over her head and slammed it down like an ax. Bits of fleshy material flew in various directions and dirt clumps splashed outwards.

“You only got part of it. Hit it again,” said the neighbor, a little too enthusiastically.

Grandma swung the shovel a second time, and in one big swoop sliced the creature clean in half. I knew that because the neighbor cheered, “By golly! That was like chopping off a fish head.”

I felt the color drain from my face.

Grandma rinse off the shovel at the spigot while the neighbor sprinkled another dose of salt “for good measure.” Then, the two women walked back to the house with Grandma mumbling something about me probably being awake and wanting breakfast. I pressed back into the shrub so they didn’t see me.

Once they were inside, I stepped out, toward the murder scene. My heart went thump-thump as the ground bobbed up and down with my stride.

A small crater lay exposed in the dirt, and what was in the center surprised me. I was expecting some poor critter I saw regularly: a bird, rabbit, or other garden menace. What I saw, of course, was a behemoth slug—rather what was left of it. That explained the salt, too. The crystals stuck to the slug’s slimy skin like nubby porcupine quills, slowly suffocating the creature until the shovel severed it from its misery.

I hadn’t seen my grandmother kill anything before, but now had a slightly better understanding of why the garden was a success. Thinking back to my tomato hornworm’s disappearance, I questioned if it perhaps met the same fate as this slug.

Without much time to mull over what I had just witnessed, I snuck back in the house where Grandma greeted me with, “I was just about to scoop you out of bed. Sleeping too long. You want one slice of toast or two?”

Scoop…shovel…dirt…slug…in two pieces…toast…

“Well?” she pressed.

“I’m not hungry.”




Copyright 2018 Jennifer E. Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment