Sunday, January 4, 2015

Quote for January 4, 2015

With the December photo challenge behind me I needed another writing challenge of some sort for January. I decided I would pick some quotes I have lying around and write about why they appeal to me. My goal is to do this each week; perhaps twice a week if I'm feeling it. With all the snow coming down, I may be suffering from plenty of cabin fever to do that. I will try to include a Pinterest link in case anyone would like to save the quotes shared.

The first one I'm sharing is by Diane Ackerman:

"I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I've just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well."

Admittedly, I don't know who Diane Ackerman is. For some reason I thought she was a news journalist, but she is an "poet, essayist, and naturalist" according to her website. I may have to borrow some of her material from the library.

I feel this quote easily hits home for anyone. What is living the width of our life? To each their own, of course, but it clearly means living more than your day-to-day life and/or experiencing past your ordinary routine. Take a risk; whatever that may mean for you. Try a new hobby, join a social group, take a small day trip to a place you've not been before. Perhaps it simply means ordering a latte from that the neighborhood coffee shop you haven't been to in ages. Doing the same things day in and day out will surely get you through life, but it won't make it all that fulfilling. Veer off your regular path once in a while for fun! Like I said, to each their own, but I think the concept applies to most people, just apply it as necessary. 


No comments:

Post a Comment