Monday, December 1, 2014

December Photo Challenge Day 1: Something I'm Reading

Welcome.  I think I'm welcoming myself.  I have wanted to keep an online blog but never had to courage to just do it.  Putting my writing out there seems so intimidating.  I came across a photo challenge for December and decided it would be a good time to jump in, since creating a blog was on my goal list anyhow.  I can't find a proper link, but the photo challenge is as follows:



Dec 1:

I am currently reading "Killing Custer: The Battle of Little Bighorn and the The Fate of the Plains Indians."  I've acquired a tad obsession with The Battle of Little Bighorn since we passed through it on our road trip to Mt. Rushmore this summer.  Our original plan was to return home through Glacier National Park, but the roads were closed, so we changed plans to tour Custer's Last Stand instead.  Honestly, I didn't know much about the events other than that the great General Custer and his army perished in a surprise victory for the Indians. I was moved learning about the spirit of the Native Americans to retain their traditional way of life. I also suggest the book "The Last Stand" by Nathaniel Philbreck. 


I have included a couple of seasonal children's books here, too.  "The Sweet Smell Of Christmas" was one of my favorite holiday books when I was a girl.  (Hey, it has scratch and sniff stickers adhered to the pages!)  My mom gave a copy to my daughter and she's had me read it to her often lately.  "The Legend of Mistletoe and the Christmas Kittens" was a baby gift from my mother-in-law, I do believe.  I remember being heavily pregnant and flooding in my own tears after reading it for the first time. It's a warm story about a cat who nobody wanted. The kiddo doesn't have me read it to her much, but it's still one I like.



No comments:

Post a Comment