Friday, December 19, 2014

December Photo Challenge: Day 19; Tree Topper

Photo copyrighted by Jennifer Miller

Dec 19: Tree Topper

Once again, this is something on the tree that is quite special. This belonged to my Dad's parents who I never got the chance to meet (they both died before I was born). A couple Christmases ago, Dad passed it on to us as we didn't own a topper. Our tree top was always bare because I couldn't find anything I liked. Even with options like fiber optics and twinkling LEDs, everything I saw in the stores seemed cheesy, tacky, or just plain ugly. I think the universe was keeping me patient that something better was in store. 

This vintage piece is one of spun glass, which I don't believe are made any longer. If I'm mistaken then they are few and far between. I had to include a picture of the box, too, as some of the phrases printed on it are interesting: "Beautify your tree," "Fire-proof," "Proper protection for hands..." I cannot locate a date on the box, but on the lid flap it says Manufactured by National Tinsel Mfg. Co. New York, NY. 

It may not be hip, chic, or in-style, but it was once important to people who are important to me. I think that trumps any modern marvel.

Photo copyrighted by Jennifer Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment